Monday, June 16, 2008

Land that we no longer have...







Jacob here,
I Decided to finally join the ranks of the family in this new blogging enterprise.  As for myself I am doing rather good at college right now.  Summer term starts up next monday, and I work about 32 hours a week at custodial while putting in 8 hours a week in the Family History Library.  All and all life is good, but this post is not about myself.  This post is about Fredrich Hartmann.  While I was preparing for a lesson I had been asked to give this past Sunday I started searching in the Illinois State Archives that can be found online.  While looking through this helpful website for genealogy I ran across the Public Domain Land Sales Database for Illinois.  I decided to give it a whirl and typed in our last name.  I expected multitude of results with how common Hartman as a last name can be.  However much to my surprise there was only 86 results that appeared.  What surprised me even more was that only one of these was from the County of Cook.  A Frederick Hartman.  Granted the spelling is different then how we have it spelt I still felt compelled to search further in this puzzle that intrigued me.  I opened up the record to see this.  Telling me that the township number was 41 N and the range was 10 E so I looked at this map of Illinois.  On it I noticed that 41 N 10 E puts me in cook county right about schuamburg ish.  So I got a more detailed map of Cook County on it I was shown that 41 N 10 E is exactly Schaumburg.  This started to excite me a little.  I then proceeded to look further in to the location of the land Fredrich had bought.  So I learned further as to how the plots of land went.  From this document I learned that each township was split into 36 sections and each section was then split into subsections based on how the land was bought.  Fredrich bought the southwest quarter of the northwest section of plot 23.  I looked and was able to find an original land survey of plot 23.  I was also able to find a certificate that was made upon the sale of the land to Fredrich.  Although the name is spelled differently it still in my view the same person because of the location of the land being bought, right in the township of Schuamburg and the year that it was bought in 1846 fits perfectly with the information that we already have about our family.  Anyways leave comments on any questions that you have or suggestions or anything else.
-Jacob

No comments: